Dear Parents and Carers,
Where did the last five weeks go? It has been a wonderful start to the new school year.
September brought new pupils, families and school puppies. We spent the month building and nurturing positive relationships which will provide the foundation for teaching and learning this year.
The start of October saw the launch of our whole school WW2 #MarlboroughLestWeForgetProject. The Marlborough team have been overwhelmed with your kind messages of support and thanks about the immersion day. We very much look forward to sharing the pupils’ learning as the project progresses.

WW2 Project – #MarlboroughLestWeForget

Well, where do I begin! Thank you to the whole school community for really getting behind and supporting this project! We really have been overwhelmed by the positive response from everyone. Mr George Cociorva has produced a film which documents the team preparing for the Immersion Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqjjpXb8MGM&feature=youtu.be

A highlight of a very memorable week was meeting elderly members of the local community who shared their memories of WW2 with the school journalists. Their precious memories included growing up on Marlborough Road, being a local ARP warden and landing on the beaches at Normandy as part of the D-Day landings.

The project, funded by a grant from the Foyle Foundation will continue until at least Monday 11th November, when we hold a remembrance event in the morning at 11:00 and a tea dance in the afternoon. Thank you to everyone who has helped support this project.

Parent Governor Elections

We currently have one parent governor vacancy and the terms of office for three other parent governors also come to an end over the next few weeks. Letters and nomination form will be sent out soon. If you are interested and wish to find out more please contact either Geraldine Foley or Andrew Skinner (Chair of Governors).

Pupil Voice Elections

Pupil Voice elections took place on 26th September. Thank you to all of the children who put themselves forward and shared their nominations with their classmates. Congratulations to the following pupils who have been elected to represent their classmates.

School Council Eco Committee Digital Leader Criw Cymraeg Journalists
6M George Sophia Edward Salma Martha
6C Theo Luke Finley Edie Hadley
5M Jack Isabella Alex Dominika Skye
5C Ollie Archie Issac Ieuan Evan
5MC Harry Aubrey Ella Zac Evie
4M Sofia Lola Ted Olivia Evan
4C Rania Amy William Finlay Mollie
3M Mallory Emilia Bobby Erica William
3C Anna Rafael Amelia Ellis Bianca
2M Maggie Cody Eli Finlay  
2C Monty Nina Louis Elijah  
1M Iona (6M) Harry (6M) Aisha (6M) Asa (6M)  
1C Milla (6C) May (6C) Xuan (6C) Cerys (6C)  
DM Zaynab Alisa Sarah Evie  
DC Eliza (5C) Imogen (5C)      

In addition, Alice is the school newspaper editor and Luca is Miss Foley’s personal Digital Leader and IT support.

Harvest

Our annual Harvest festival assemblies were held on Wednesday 2nd October led by Richard Hardy from Albany Baptist Church. Thank you so much for all of your donations of food. They have been donated to Cardiff Foodbank.

Parent Meetings with Senior Leaders

Due to our teaching commitments, the days for parent meetings with the Headteacher and Assistant Headteachers has had to be altered this year.  These meetings will be by prior appointment  to ensure we have the necessary information available for us to be as helpful as possible.   Please telephone the office to arrange.

Monday 8:30 – 9:30 Miss Foley
Tuesday 8:30 – 9:30 Mrs. Crew
Thursday 8:15 – 8:30

9:00 – 9:30

Mrs. Hodges
Friday 8:30 – 9:30 Mrs. Lloyd

PTA Events

Thank you to the PTA for organising the Welcome Back BBQ on Friday 21st September. It was a great evening and it was lovely to see so many of our families attending. The PTA have organised a number of exciting events over the upcoming months. All events raise much needed funds to improve provision and resources for Marlborough pupils, as well as provide the opportunity for the school community to come together.

• Bake for Books – Y4 – Thursday 17th October
  • Halloween Disco – Thursday 24th October
  • Winter Fair – Saturday 23rd November (1:00 – 4:00 p.m.)

Residential Trips

Best wishes to the Year 5 and Year 6 pupils who will be attending the Llangrannog and Manor Adventure trips over the next two weeks. I am sure that you and the staff will have a wonderful time and make many happy memories.

School Admissions – Key Dates

The application closing dates:

STARTING SECONDARY SCHOOL (YEAR 7) in September 2020: MONDAY 25 NOVEMBER 2019
STARTING PRIMARY SCHOOL (RECEPTION) in September 2020: MONDAY 13 JANUARY 2020
STARTING NURSERY SCHOOL in September 2020: MONDAY 24 FEBRUARY 2020
STARTING NURSERY SCHOOL in SPRING/SUMMER 2021: MONDAY 29 JUNE 2020

Apply online at www.cardiff.gov.uk/schooladmissions 

Inset Days

School will be closed on the following dates for staff professional development:

• Monday 4th November 2019 – Developing a Creative Curriculum
  • Friday 22nd May 2020 – Review of the year and strategic planning for the new academic year
  • Monday 20th July – day in lieu of addition twilight inset sessions